06 March 2006

MLB HOF Kirby Puckett dies from complications of a stroke: age 45



Hard to frigging believe. This guy could theoretically still be playing (like say, Julio Franco) but instead, Kirby passed away today after having a stroke over the weekend. Obituary courtesy of the New York Times.

Puckett was a guy who not a lot of people thought looked like a major leaguer, but he was a great all-around player during my high school and college years, playing and often beating the Indians, all the while remaining a guy who was fun to watch. He was so fun to watch because you could tell that he was out there having a frigging blast, almost as though he was one of us who got to play for an MLB team for a week. It had to be supremely frustrating to have his fantastic career cut short by an eye problem. Despite his early exit, Puckett was a first-ballot Hall of Fame selection in 2001.

The dude had some problems in the past couple of years, both health concerns and trouble with the law, which was sad to see. That's not for me to judge, because I don't know the details. I just know he was one of my favorite players to not play for the Tribe.

It's a damn shame. Nobody predicted this, I don't think...I didn't even check the lists yet.

1 Comments:

Blogger BadAssDan said...

This is truely one that touched me. When i was a youngster, i worshipped this man. he was my childhood idol. i remember getting his rookie card for xams. the thing that i remember about him the most was that he was always smiling. a man with such bad luck, never deserved this. he may have had personal problems, but the man brought joy to millions of fans....including myself. this is one that i'm glad that i didn't predict. RIP Kirby.

23:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home